Archbishop Tutu and his wife escape unharmed from fire at retirement village
We are delighted and relieved to hear that Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and his wife Leah Tutu escaped unharmed from a fire last week at the retirement village where they live near the seaside town of Hermanus, south east of Cape Town.
The couple, 88 and 86, are said to be in good spirits after the blaze which broke out early on Wednesday, damaging the living area of their home.
They thanked both staff at their home and the fire department, calling them “unsung heroes”
A statement from the Desmond and Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation said that the couple had not suffered any injuries.
It read: “Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu and Mrs Leah Tutu have extended their love and gratitude to staff at their retirement village and members of the local fire department after a fire damaged the living area of their cottage in Hermanus, in the Southern Cape.
“The couple did not sustain any injuries and were in good spirits considering events that unfolded around daybreak today. We cannot thank the staff at the village enough for their kindness and quick action; or members of the fire department, unsung heroes, on whose courage one leans in the most difficult circumstances. God bless them all,”
The cause of the fire is believed to relate to a faulty gas heater.